I am a sucker for homemade baked goods – especially muffins. They are the perfect mid morning snack to have with a cup of tea or coffee. I heard about morning glory muffins a year or so ago when I came across a recipe in my King Arthur Cooking with Whole Grains cookbook. These looked good but at 342 calories each I decided to pass. I really don’t need to tempt myself with anymore high calorie treats. Then I came across this coconut carrot morning glory muffin recipe in my January edition of Eating Well.
Oh my, these are good! What I really like about this recipe, besides the awesome flavor, is the muffins fit perfectly into my clean eating lifestyle without any adjustments. It is made without white flour and sugar, uses coconut oil in place of vegetable oil, and is deliciously sweetened with honey and applesauce. If you are used to eating white flour and sugar the texture might taste a little off to you. However, if you typically bake with wheat flour and applesauce then these will be some of the best muffins ever. I really enjoyed them and so did my husband which to me is a real test to this recipe. He sometimes complains when I use wheat flour. Not this time because he loved them and took one to work everyday last week.
I followed the recipe almost exactly. The only adjustment I made was I grated my carrots instead of shredded because my shredder broke. I ended up using 1 1/2 cups of grated carrots because to be quite honest I almost took my finger tips off a couple times so decided to quit while I was ahead. Grating makes the carrots finer so I probably needed to use less anyway. Either way it worked out great!
As with many muffin recipes you can – and should – make these muffins ahead of time. Just bake completely, wrap in plastic wrap or flash freeze, then throw in a freezer bag and freeze. Muffins thaw pretty quickly on the counter so they should be ready for a nice mid morning snack. Oh and did I mention they are 186 calories per muffin! Oh yeah!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil (if it is solid then put jar in warm water until melted)
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl combine whole-wheat flour, ½ cup rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and all-spice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, applesauce, honey, and vanilla. Add in coconut oil and combine.
- Slowly stir in flour mixture just until moisten. Please note at this time the batter will be very wet.
- Slowly fold in the carrots, coconut, and raisins. The batter at this time will be a little thicker and resemble more of a muffin batter.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tip with cooking spray. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. I used a cookie scoop and filled each muffin cup with two scoops. This worked out quite well and made the muffins very even. Divide the 2 tablespoons of oats and coconut evenly over the 12 muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 30 -35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean after being inserted. Mine baked for the full 35 minutes. Let sit for around 5 minutes then take out of muffin pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling.