I have a little secret for you.
I am not crafty at all. I really want to be and make plans in my head all the time to start and finish some cutesy DIY project. But I never get around to it then by the time I need it – say for a Halloween class party – I forget and end up make my good old stand by oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies. No one has ever complained because these cookies rock, but for once I would like to make something cute.
Well this holiday season I am proud to say that I made something cute to hand out for the holidays – mini chocolate chip gingerbreads. Now I did not wrap them in colored plastic wrap with bows – that would have required way to much time and energy. Who am I kidding? That is what I wanted to do but I forgot to buy the supplies. Anyway, these treats are still cute and somewhat crafty because they are mini…right? Just say yes please, thanks you’re the best!
I purchased my mini bread pan loaf from Amazon a couple weeks ago so I would be ready once the holidays arrive. I love this bread pan and can already envision all the recipes I will make with it.
For this gingerbread recipe I adapted one I found on the King Arthur website. I decided to double the recipe so I had enough for everyone on my list. The result was a moist bread with just the right amount of flavor from the ginger, molasses, and other spices. Keep in mind molasses can be very strong depending on the brand and kind you buy. The molasses I use is robust and very strong. I ended up using ½ of the molasses that the original recipe called for. Depending on your taste you may use more or less. The ½ cup I used for the whole recipe was a perfect balance. I also added chocolate chips because it is the holidays. If you want less calories then leave them out because they kind of send these little breads over the top.
I put together a quick slide show to show the mini chocolate chip gingerbread recipe coming together. Nothing fancy but thought you might enjoy. My first attempt at imovie
Here is the recipe.
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ cup buttermilk powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ ground nutmeg
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 large egg, beaten
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine and mix flours, buttermilk powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Combine butter and molasses then pour into dry mixture. Mix until moist.
- Add eggs and water then mix until combined.
- Slowly mix in chocolate chips.
- Fill bread tins, sprayed with cooking spray, ¾ full. I used about 3 cookie scoops.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. I took mine out at 45 minutes. Try not to over bake so they don’t become dry.
- Let cool in pan for about 3-5 minutes then take out of pan and let cool on wire rack.