For the past few years, my husband’s family has come to our home for Christmas breakfast. We always have mounds of pancakes, pastries, and other delicious breakfast treats – portion control is my friend. Of course, I like sweet sugar pleasures but when it comes to my first meal of the day I always lean more towards a hearty savory breakfast filled with eggs, cheese, and meat!
Making everyone their own omelet or eggs to order can be a lot especially when you have about 10 people to feed. This is where the oven omelette comes in handy. These are perfect for feeding a crowd and my husband’s family has been making this long before I took over Christmas breakfast.
The base recipe for an oven omelette is 12 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk. After that you can play around with ingredients. Pretty much anything you would throw in a regular omelet you can use in an oven omelette. I made a spinach feta version earlier this year and I even made cute little chicken sausage and egg cups.
For this recipe I decided to use my husband’s favorite omelet fillings – peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese. To round it out I also add some sausage. Of course he loved it.
Play around with your favorite ingredients.
The filling ingredients can be made ahead of time. This way they the can be thrown together with the rest of the ingredients when you are ready to make it. I also have made the oven omelet completely, portioned out, and frozen to use in future breakfast sandwiches. The oven omelet is a very versatile recipe so use it in the way that fits your needs.
- Cooking spray
- 6 fresh breakfast sausage links, casings removed
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped white mushrooms
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup 1% milk
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large pan, lightly coated with cooking spray, cook sausage, breaking into smaller pieces, until no longer pink. Remove from pan, put in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Wipe out pan, coat again with cooking spray, and cook mushrooms until soft. Place in the bowl with sausage.
- In the same pan cook onions and peppers until softened. Add to the mushroom and sausage mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs and milk until yokes and milk are combined.
- Stir in the sausage and vegetable mixture, cheese, and salt and pepper. Pour into 7 x 11 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the center is set.