Having breakfast ready to grab and go is a must in our household. Especially for my husband. If he can not easily grab something to eat then it is a guarantee he will be going to the drive-thru which is not good for our budget or his waistline.
Over the summer I discovered we could freeze the breakfast sandwiches that we eat pretty much everyday. Since then our freezer has been stocked with bags of them. However, in the last couple weeks I have been feeling the need for a bit more variety at breakfast time. Last week I made the slow cooker steel cut oats that were scrumptious and this past weekend I put together a batch of these breakfast burritos.
When I was first putting the burritos together I was a little worried that they would not freeze well because the mixture seemed pretty wet, but they did freeze beautifully. Thank goodness!
These breakfast burritos are very tasty, satisfying, and are perfect for on the go. In the future I am going to play around with different flavor combinations.
One thing I want to mention is I did use regular pork sausage for this recipe because I could not find turkey breakfast sausage anywhere. If you can find turkey breakfast sausage then I recommend using it to help further reduce the calories.
- 1lb ground breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded taco cheese
- Using a large skillet brown the sausage and cook till done (about 8 minutes). Break into small pieces.
- Combine eggs and milk and whisk together until blended. Add to skillet with sausage. Cook until the eggs are set (about 5-7 minutes)
- Add in salsa and cheese to the sausage and egg mixture. Cook for another 5-7minutes or until cheese is melted and eggs are completely cooked.
- After it is finished cooking let the mixture cool slightly.
- ay a burrito flat then in the center of each burrito add ⅓ cup of the mixture and roll up.