It is a common misconception that snacking is off limits when you are trying to lose weight. When actually it is the complete opposite. Healthy snacking has played an important role in keeping me energized and focused in between meals. Without it, I would feel hungry and deprived during the day and would start reaching for anything I could find. Which would usually be a high calorie and fattening vending machine snack.
The key to keeping calories under control is to have snacks planned out and part of your weekly menu plan. That way, you know what you are eating, it is prepared ahead of time and you will reduce the temptation to eat a high empty calorie snack. Getting hungry and reaching for any type of food without a plan is when you will find extra calories sneaking into your diet. Try to focus on high fiber, high protein, and lower calorie snacks because those will keep you full longer.
Every Wednesday at 8:00pm Eastern Time on the Skinny Mom’s Kitchen facebook page is Weight Loss Tips Wednesday. This past week the topic we talk about was healthy snack ideas. Here is a list of healthy snacks that myself along with Skinny Mom’s Kitchen community members munch on during the day.
- Cheese sticks. 80 calories each
- 2 tablespoons of hummus and 1 serving of pretzels. 160 calories
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter. 100 calories
- 1 ounce cheese and 6 triscuits. 230 calories
- ¼ cup almonds. 160 calories
- Single serving bag of microwave popcorn 100 calories
- Chobani yogurt. 140 – 160 calories depending on flavor
- ½ lite English muffin with ½ cup cottage cheese. 190 calories
- Apple with 1 tablespoon peanut butter. 172 calories
- Luna Bars (my favorite is the chocolate peppermint stick). 180 calories
With a little planning, healthy snacking can and should play an important role in your weight loss goals. When you feel satisfied and nourished you will be less likely to overeat on empty calorie foods.
What are some of your favorite healthy snack ideas?